Austin Agile DevOps

DevOps in the Cloud
posts - 70 , comments - 7 , trackbacks - 0

SQL Server 2008 R2 Install Failure and Resolution

I was attempting to install SQL Server 2008 R2 on a sever with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. The server had a C:, E: and F: drives for the OS/programs, user DB and TempDB/Logs respectively. With the help of Microsoft support I was able to resolve the problem.

PROBLEM
The first error message was "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. Error code: 2337"
The second error that popped-up after getting past the first one was "The following error has occurred: Could not find the database engine startup handle."

RESOLUTION
I did a number of things including downloading the media again from TechNet and and copying the setup.rll file from the media location to its installed location. But I believe the effective steps were:

  1. Right-click on setup and select "Run as administrator" to initiate the install
  2. Verify that you do not have corrupt media. In my case the use of Winzip to extract the setup files to a local directory was causing the corruption problem. I used Magic Disc to extract the files that were able to execute the setup without any problem.

DEBUG PROCESS
The steps to debugg the problems were:

  • SQL Server setup was initially failing with the below error.
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. Error code: 2337
  • Later you have downloaded the setup files again started the installation.
  • Setup passed the previous error but failed again with the below error.
The following error has occurred: Could not find the database engine startup handle
  • Tried to run the services manually but it failed without generating any error log or dump files.
  • Tried to run the services from the console and it failed with an error to launch the program.
  • Downloaded and installed DebugDiag and tried to collect the dump for the sqlservr.exe process.
  • Dump files are not generated from the debugdiag.
  • Downloaded Dependency walker and found the below when tried to run the services.
LoadLibraryW("C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\Resources\1033\sqlevn70.rll") returned NULL. Error: %1 is not a valid Win32 application (193).
LoadLibraryW("C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\Resources\1033\sqlevn70.rll") called from "SQLSERVR.EXE" at address 0x00000000007CA120.
First chance exception 0xC00000FD (Stack Overflow) occurred in "NTDLL.DLL" at address 0x0000000077853560.
LoadLibraryW("C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\Resources\1033\sqlevn70.rll") caused an exception.
First chance exception 0xE06D7363 (Microsoft C++ Exception) occurred in "KERNELBASE.DLL" at address 0x000007FEFD86A49D.
First chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "MSVCR80.DLL" at address 0x000000007432A8B5.
Second chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "MSVCR80.DLL" at address 0x000000007432A8B5.
Exited "SQLSERVR.EXE" (process 0xC64) with code -1073741819 (0xC0000005).
  • Replaced the sqlenv70.dll from a good installation and the services were starting but failing with a different error.
  • The model database location was a weird location than the default install folder.
  • It looks like a corrupted media again.
  • Suggested to download the setup again and extract using Magic ISO.
  • Install completed successfully after using Magic ISO to extract the setup files.

Print | posted on Monday, June 20, 2011 2:23 PM | Filed Under [ Agile SCM Talk Blog ]

Feedback

No comments posted yet.
Post A Comment
Title:
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Verification:
 

Powered by: